About Me

South Louisiana
I have been married for 20 years to a great husband and we have 8 children ranging in age from 1 to 18 years. I am a homeschooling mom, which can be very challenging. I love sewing, knitting, reading, gardening and have recently started oil painting. I love to create. I really want to have a blog to show off some of the stuff I create, but I also want to share about my life and family. email me at ctrich8@bellsouth.net

Saturday, November 1, 2008

A Handmade Christmas and a bathroom

Like many of you, I'm sure, I check out Sew Mama Sew's blog daily. I was already planning to make a lot of gifts for Christmas, but Sew Mama has made me even more enthusiastic. Already I have the fabric and patterns I need for pajamas for my 2 teenage nieces and all of my children. I do this every year for my children. I am also planning an apron each for Sam and Ava. Chad made this adorable play kitchen for them last year and I think they need aprons just like mama. And just now, as I was visiting One Shabby Chick's blog, I found this wonderful pattern from Wee Wonderfuls. This would be perfect for Ava and possibly Savannah. I have some more ideas, but I think I will try to tackle these gifts and see how much, if any, time I have left lol

I am really trying to be careful about gifts this year. There is nothing I hate more than finding discarded toys 2 days after Christmas. Most stuff is crap nowadays, and I just end up throwing it in a toy box never to be played with again. What a huge waste of money, just so they have presents to open on Christmas morning. I have noticed in the past that handmade and well thought out gifts are always appreciated much more. Sometimes, because I have so many to buy for, I end up just throwing stuff together. I WILL NOT do that this year. However, there is only a limited amount of time before Christmas, so I need to prioritize and get my butt in gear if I am going to accomplish my goal. I may have to put my quilt on the backburner for a little while. The quilting is coming along, FINALLY! But this is a whole other post LOL I had just a *little* trouble with the whole machine quilting thing.

In the middle of all this, Chad and I are doing a mini remodel on the kids' bathroom. Our house was built in the middle 70's and the bathroom is still original. It is really a great bathroom, it is huge, but the sinks and cabinets have had it. Dh found some new faucets and sinks on clearance at Home Depot this morning. The sinks were $40 a piece and the faucets were marked down from $80 to $30!!!! So, for under $200 we have brand new sinks and faucets. We will be keeping the green marble counter tops because it is a huge counter and would be expensive to replace. I know, I know, green countertops? But I really like them, they are that avocado green that was so popular in the 70's and I have always loved that color. So, we are making do. We are going to reface the cabinets with bead board and paint because we can't afford new cabinets either. We are watching for some tub faucets to go on sale or clearance and we will buy those new too. I would love a complete remodel, but that just isn't in the budget and probably won't be until the kids are grown and gone LOL But I think a few new fixtures and some clean new paint will make a big difference. This is the bathroom that everyone uses, so I really want it to look nice and right now it just looks gross. I will share pictures as we do this.

It will probably take several weeks because we will only have time here and there. Lots going on and dh has been working almost non stop lately. He has always worked two jobs, his regular job with the city and he does plumbing with his brother on the side. The plumbing business is doing well right now, so lots of extra work. This is good and bad. Good because it means extra money at a time when we really need it and bad because Chad isn't around much. Add in some other carpentry jobs he has also gotten and he is working until late at night almost every day. I am so thankful to have a hard working husband who is so talented. The fact that he knows how to do all of this plumbing and carpentry means that we can do all of this remodeling ourselves, which saves a TON of money on labor! Sorry for rambling about this, I didn't even realize I was going to talk about it lol I am very proud of my hubby, he works very hard so that I can stay home with our children, and he does it with a great attitude. God has really blessed me : )

6 comments:

Tine said...

I love avocado-green too!! And orange too....and with Charles loving brown, we have to be careful around here, or our house will end up looking like it was built in the 70s. LOL!
I am trying to make all my presents too, and I am so excited about Handmade Holiday on SMS! We can try to keep each others spirits up! LOL! I know I don't have as many presents to make as you do, but still...

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

How lucky are you having a clever husband - your bathroom makeover sounds great. It will be worth it when you get it done - can't wait to see the pictures. You sound like you will be busy witht he lead up to Christmas - good luck getting all those presents made.

Marie said...

Oh how fun it is to finally be able to update your bathroom. I'm ready to rearrange our house and hubby is looking at me like I'm crazy because he does not like moving furniture back and forth upstairs and downstairs. Something about rearranging furniture that just makes me feel like everything is brand new...I'm going off topic... :)

I was so impressed by the kitchen Chad built, I showed Jacob and he thought it was great,but he didn't get the hint...oh well.

You are blessed indeed, as am I and every stay at home mom out there that has the privilege of being able to stay home with their kids.

Long time no talk Tonya! Hope you are all doing well!

Vanessa said...

You are a terrific mother and wife. Your children are blessed to have the beautiful and thoughtful things you make them.
I can't wait to see the masterpiece you turn your bathroom into!
Hugs!
Vanessa

mommyholly said...

You sound like you have a fabulous husband.. and SO nice that he can do these things at home!!! I love that you are making things for Christmas.. I am trying my hardest to have a very homemade Christmas this year as well, since money is tight!! Plus you are right, the handmade gifts always end up being the favorites :) Good luck on all your sewing!!! xo!!
PS. Twilight in 15 days!!!!!! I got tickets for the first midnight showing hehe!!

Sandra Lundy said...

My home is older too, and the bath sink and tub are a minty green....but I like them - and it's a good thing I do b/c replacing them isn't an option for me either, lol! It's funny b/c we also redone our bath cabinets in beadboard and paint - plus the ceiling, too! I love how it came out and so glad I didn't spend the $1500 on that...it's a wonder what a little fresh paint can do! I know yours will look great too!